Software Support: RIP Windows 7
Today is a sad day for many who consider Windows 7 one of the best operating systems to come out of Microsoft. Especially for those looking to offer the very best software support to their customers.
Sentimentality aside, this could have serious security ramifications. If people find security flaws in Windows 7 systems, Microsoft will no longer fix them.
With this in mind, if you have bought an instrument from us, to offer you the best software support we can, our team have put together a list of important seven things to consider:
Our 7 Things To Consider:
- Safe use of Windows 7: It’s worth saying from the off that if your instrument isn’t connected to a network and isn’t connected to the internet, it will be safe to use with Windows 7.
- Too old to migrate: Many older Agilent 6890 GC and 5973 MSD systems will be unable to undertake the migration. This is due, in part, to the enhanced cyber security measures present in Windows 10. All systems will require ChemStation or MassHunter upgrades.
- Know if you’re supported: Guaranteed support from Agilent, for 6890/5973 systems ended in 2018. Our engineers will do everything to keep your systems working beyond any cut-off date, but it is wise to consider that this could be the end of the line.
- You may need to upgrade your instrument’s PC: If you are using Windows 7 (or earlier) you may need to upgrade your computer hardware to work properly with the new operating system.
- The hardware-software trade off: If you source a new PC from your instrument supplier, this will probably cost a bit more than one you can source elsewhere, however, the software upgrade will be less complex and take less time to perform. Overall you could be better off.
- CyberEssentials: If you are working in the public sector, this issue comes within the scope of the CyberEssentials scheme.
- Time is of the essence: Unless you are sure you aren’t affected, it’s important to act now. It’s not a problem until it is a big one.
This is a technically complex topic and no two instruments are ever exactly the same. If you require Software Support from experts you can trust, who understand the issues and who can help you avoid the pitfalls, call +44 (0)1223 279210, CONTACT US here, or email email@example.com.